I am writing this letter to bring to your attention issues I believe exist on my reserve and recommendations for progress.
Here are some of my recommendations:
- We need to bring back integrity and transparency as to how we select our leaders;
- Therefore we have to demand that there are to checks and balance in place;
- Gaming. Housing, Education and Health should be independent from politics;
- Terms of reference and job description for all department heads should be made public;
- There should be a planning commission established to map out our future in education, land use, economic development, culture and language, etc…;
- All positions full time or temporary has to be posted; and
- Community has responsibility to determine who becomes a band member.
The rationale for these recommendations is to restore the moral fabric of our community and to put it back on track in terms of our cultural values. This should be part of the swearing in ceremonies for community leaders.
Albert Marshall, Elder
Eskasoni First Nation